1. How Many People in Your Office Drink Coffee?
You’ll need to make sure the commercial coffee machine you pick can meet your office’s needs, volume-wise. Failure to properly do so can cause issues, such as voiding the machine’s warranty. The most simple way to do this is a staff count. Consider how many people will use the office coffee machine every day and how many cups the average employee drinks. Many office workers drink two to three cups a day, but you have to account for those that drink more or none at all. We’ve found it is a fair bet to assume around one mug per day per employee. Add a bit if you have frequent client meetings.
2. What is Your Coffee Machine’s Impact on the Environment?
If your business is aiming to go green, you may want to consider the environmental impacts of different commercial coffee machines. In addition to the power requirements for the machine itself, coffee pods are non-recyclable and non-biodegradable, which means they might not be the best option. Bean to cup coffee machines will use the same amount of electricity and water, but many include energy efficiency functions to turn off when not in use. Cafetieres just need a kettle full of boiling water, while filter coffee machines are typically only turned on when brewing up a pot. You will need to dispose of filter papers when you’re through, though. Think about how important is it to your business and your employees.
3. How Durable is Your Coffee Machine?
Quality commercial coffee machines are investments that are usually leased over a few years to help defray costs. Therefore, you don’t want a cheap machine you’ll need to replace after a year or two. Make sure your office coffee machine is made by a trusted brand, and the model is well-built. And check the warranty, both parts and labour. Many commercial coffee machines only come with one year as standard, and you’ll need to pay for subsequent cover.
4. How Convenient is it to Make Drinks and Clean?
There are two sides to the convenience coin:
How easy is it to make a cup of coffee?
- Bean to Cup coffee machines and Coffee Pod machines are one-touch machines. Press a button, and you’ve got coffee 20 – 30 seconds later
- Filter coffee machines need the, well, filter filled with coffee before brewing
- Cafetieres need you to add water and wait a few minutes, and
- Barista coffee machines, while quick, can be fiddly
How much of a pain is it to clean the office coffee machine?
Cleaning commercial coffee machines can vary quite a lot within each category, and it’s something you want to ask the vendor about before buying your office coffee machine.